Exclusive Interview with Jennifer Alvarado


Jennifer Alvarado, singer-songwriter hailing from Vale, North Carolina, released her latest single 'Colorado' on November 24th. She has been recognized locally for her songwriting and was named 'One to Watch' by Nashville Songwriters Association in Spring 2021 and 2022. She was named the “2021 Country Artist of the Year” by Indie Star Radio. She was awarded the Silver “Entertainer of the Year” at the 2023 International Singer Songwriter Awards, where she was nominated for seven awards total. She is currently nominated for a Carolina Country Music Award for “Female Artist of the Year. Written by Alvarado and Molly Hansen, “Colorado” was produced by Ricky Rodriguez with Bombhouse Studios in Morganton, North Carolina. 


We've had the pleasure to meet with Jennifer and discuss her career, her musical background and her thoughts about the role of women in music.

1- When did you decide to become a musician? Was there a key moment that you’d like to share with us?

Music and singing has always been my go-to. I think I was around five when I realized people actually sing for a living. When I was seven, I was on vacation in Nevada and met a lounge singer for the MGM Grand Hotel bar. She was so kind to me and I remember her telling me one day she was going to see my name up in lights. That’s always stuck with me.

2- Your new single 'Colorado' is a great Country ballad. How did you choose this genre? Was it a natural thing or was there more of a process behind that choice?

Country is just a natural choice for me. I grew up listening to Country with my Nanny and Pappaw. My Pappaw used to play bluegrass and country music on a local radio station. It just feels like home. I love all genres of music and even pursued Contemporary Christian for a while, but I didn’t feel like I was being completely authentic until I came back to Country music.

3- How do you find inspiration?

Life. I write a lot about relationship dynamics. I’m an introverted person, so when I write, I am trying to process things and understand the world around me.


4- Can you share the story behind 'Colorado’?

Sure. The main inspiration was Dan & Shay’s hit song “Tequila.” I love that song, but I’ve always wondered what all happened with the relationship outlined in that song. I was left with questions, so I answered them with “Colorado.”

5- Your music has received critical acclaim as well as being a commercial success. How do you manage the need for mainstream recognition and artistic creativity?

I am very grateful for the accolades and for the kind recognition. I think I see it as maybe I’m on the right track. However, the purpose is and always will be making that connection with the listener. Music saved me. It gave me a voice and helped me feel like I wasn’t alone in situations. I hope my art can do the same thing.

6- How do you utilize your voice as a way to improve how you tell/sing stories?


I want to be real. I think the world is very good at trying to steal or silence our voice (or our personal stories). There is power in our testimonies and what we have been through. It’s important for our own growth and empowering others. Therefore, I want to be as honest as possible without being harmful.

7- In your songs, you often share your take on love and relationships. How do you transform your personal experiences into ones that people can relate to?

I think in general people understand the idea of a relationship. We all have had that toxic friend or that awful job or that lover that took more than they gave. Therefore, I tend to use relationships as a common theme. I have written songs about being clumsy or quitting jobs, but to the listener, it’s about a bad relationship.

8- As a female artist in the music business, what can you say about the current situation of women in music and what actions do you believe could be taken to further amplify their role?

Honestly, women have to work twice as hard in most situations. Beyond that, women are expected to look a certain way versus guys that can kinda just throw on a hat and be. There are still many double standards. I think there are many organizations and blogs, like yours, that are trying to change and amplify our roles and give woman more a voice. I think changes are happening, especially as some of the old mindsets are leaving and retiring; however, there is still miles to go…..so we just keep working.





Listen to the gems of Women in Pop #curatedbypowhersound

Comments