Exclusive Interview With Lexi Berg

Lexi Berg is a Swedish-American singer-songwriter who is now growing her career in the exciting London music scene. She released her latest single, ‘Lonely Satellite,’ on July 7th, a catchy indie pop track with a dreamy soundscape that totally matches the title.

We've had the pleasure of catching up with Lexi to discuss her career, all the exciting things she’s been up to, and her take on the role of women in the music industry.

1. Lexi, your music mixes classic Swedish melodies with American folk music, and you’re based in London. How do all these different influences impact your songwriting?

Growing up in Sweden, I was deeply influenced by Swedish pop and folk music. Swedish music has a bittersweet balance that resonates universally. This melancholic thread runs through so much of folk, country, and Americana, making it a natural blend for me. I love London because you can really be from anywhere and be completely yourself when it comes to styles of music. I’m slowly developing my sound and groove. 

2. You wrote your latest tracks in the fields of Wales to fight against urban anxiety. How did the natural surroundings enhance your creativity and the themes you write about?

Being in nature has this incredible way of stripping away all the noise and chaos of city life. In Wales, surrounded by the rolling hills and open skies, I found a sense of peace that’s hard to find in the city. It allowed me to reconnect with myself, to listen to my own thoughts without interruption. The themes of my songs became more about finding that inner calm, that connection with something greater than myself. Nature quietens the mind. 

3. Could you tell us more about your new single 'Lonely Satellite'? Tell us about the story and message behind your song.

'Lonely Satellite' is a song about feeling disconnected, not just from the world around you, but from yourself. It’s about that moment when you realize you need to step away from the pressures and distractions of everyday life and take a look at the bigger picture. I wrote it as a reminder to myself—and hopefully to others—that it’s okay to take a break, to find your own space to breathe and reconnect. The idea of a satellite, floating out there in space, kind of captures that feeling of isolation but also the potential to gain a broader perspective. 


4. People often compare you to Stevie Nicks with your raspy and unique voice. How do you feel about this comparison, and are there any other artists who have impacted your way of singing?

Being compared to Stevie Nicks is such an honor. She’s an icon, and her voice has this raw, emotional quality that I’ve always admired. I think what I resonate with most is her ability to convey so much feeling with just a single note. I also grew up listening to a lot of strong female artists like Nina Simone, Adele, Joni Mitchell and Bjork.

5. Your debut single "What If" was produced by Faris Badwan and it was featured on the soundtrack of an Oscar-nominated film. How did you guys end up working together, and to what degree was it a defining moment for your career?

Working with Faris was a dream. He really helped shape the vision I had for ‘What If,’ and together we were able to bring it to life in a way that felt so organic. Having the song featured in an Oscar-nominated film was surreal—it really put my music on a platform I hadn’t expected so early on. It was definitely a defining moment, not just for the exposure it gave me, but for the confidence it instilled in me as an artist.

6. You've played with big bands and performed at big festivals and venues. What have been some of the best moments you've experienced or obstacles/challenges you've had to face?

I think the craziest moment was when I sang the anthem at the O2 Arena infront of 20,000 people. It was nerve wrecking especially since it was streamed to 36 million people on TV! 

7. You've started a monthly "jam night" in London and brought a community of musicians and artists together. How did you tell yourself ‘I’m gonna start this initiative’? How did it all come together, and what are your plans for its future?

The idea for the jam night came from a desire to create a space where musicians and artists could just come together and share their creativity without the pressures of the industry. It started small, just a few friends jamming together, but it quickly grew into this beautiful community. I think we all crave that sense of belonging and collaboration, and the jam night provides that. My plan is to keep it growing, to bring in more artists from different backgrounds, and to eventually turn it into something even bigger— I’m taking it abroad! Starting with New York and Stockholm, Sweden. 

8. Your music has been used on platforms like BBC Radio 2 and TV shows like Love Island and MTV Teen Moms. How have these features brought more exposure to you as an artist? Do you think success helps women be treated better or more equally in the music industry?

Having your song on radio, film and TV is such great exposure. Synch placements give you credibility in the industry. But while success can open doors, I don’t think it necessarily changes the way women are treated in the industry. There’s still a long way to go in terms of equality. Success might give you a louder voice, but it’s up to us to use that voice to advocate for change, to support other women in the industry, and to challenge the norms that have been in place for too long. As women, we are taught to be competitive with one another. But I think competition can be replaced with collaboration. Music is universal and we don’t have to be limited by the imaginary walls that keep us from helping each other. Let’s stop gatekeeping and help one another.

Instagram

Listen to the gems of Women in Pop #curatedbypowhersound

Comments